28 July 2013

Work begins..

This month I (Sue) have been let loose to write the BLOG.  Since the end of June we have been living in our new home at the hospital, which has taken quite a bit of adjusting to. I am still trying to get use to not being in walking distance of a decent size shop or being able to nip to the market for fresh veg when needed. We go into town about twice a week when we have to make sure we get enough food to last.  At the moment we are in the middle of Ramadan so the small shop outside the hospital is closed during the day which means I can’t get bread so more often than not its crackers and marmite for lunch much to Malcolm's dismay. The house is situated close to the hospital wards so we are in sight of patients and visitors with our every move observed.  We have been trying to get the house sorted but are having a constant battle at the moment with leaking windows as the rains have arrived and at times are so heavy we have pools of water particularly in our lounge. We keep coming up with new ideas of how to alleviate the problem and I am sure one of the ideas will work!
Since moving to the hospital I have also started full time work, my day starts at 6.30 with the usual question of "is there water for a shower?", we then start the day with a time of worship at 7.30 followed by a short staff meeting with the work day commencing at 8. I have spent my first few weeks getting use to the flow of the work on the wards, attending the ward rounds and helping where I can, during the quiet time those of you who know me won’t be surprised to know I spend my time cleaning and organising hoping that some of this will rub off on the other nurses. I am not sure what the other nurses make of me but they seem to have accepted me and my strange and limited French language. I pray each day that the language and understanding will improve. The hospital has been quiet since the start of Ramadan but those who do come tend to be really sick.

Mother encouraging her child to drink the enriched milk
There are three children at the moment with malnutrition who are struggling to put on weight. Before coming to Chad I would see children with malnutrition on the television and naively thought that if you gave them nutritional food they would start to gain weight, how wrong was I, these children are unable to swallow even the smallest amounts of milk and each hour it's a struggle to get the fluid into them.  Unfortunately the mothers tend to tip the children upside down and pour the milk into them which as expected causes a lot of spluttering so there is a constant need for education. Thanks to Rebecca there is an up and running malnutrition program along with the pastor's wife who helps monitor the outpatient children and delivers the education program along with cooking advice, all in Arabic.  

Scared by an acid ant !
In addition to struggling with starting work, I have also had to cope with the many insects and creatures that live here with us. A few weeks ago I resembled Harry Potter with a red mark across my forehead  and eye lid which we think  was caused by an insect that excretes acid, it must have walked across my face as I slept, luckily I was able to cover it with my fringe. I have since had one on my knee so they are obviously attracted to me.


Malc putting the lawn mower together
Adjit happy in his work
Due to the rains, which have now arrived in force, the grass has started to grow which brings a welcome relief from the dust but creates a good hiding place for snakes. We have already seen people with snake bites so it was with great excitement that we unloaded a new petrol driven lawn mower from the container which arrived last November. Normally the grass is manually cut with a machete which is very time consuming and back breaking work for our grounds men. Malcolm assembled the mower, had a quick practice run then handed over to Adjit with some simple training, who then did a good job of cutting the grass in front of the wards and outpatient clinic rooms. As you can imagine it generated a lot of interested with all the male workers wanting a go, so I don't think there will be any shortage of volunteers. It reminded Malcolm of his time spent cutting the grass at Bluntisham Baptist Church, and how time spent in Gods presence while cutting the grass whether in Bluntisham or Chad is exactly the same.

We hope that through our work and by making small changes or by introducing new methods we can in some small way help with the running of this much needed hospital. 
Blessings Malc & Sue